It’s evolving – this space of ours. Some rooms have been more of a challenge than others. In progress – things have moved in/moved out – been considered and worried over. Floor plans fiddled with, lights installed.
This is how our front room looked when we bought it.
I don’t know if you can see that fireplace well enough in the middle of the room. With everything lit up the room can make your eyes water – 2 sets of downlights plus a central light with 3 globes made a room that was probably excellent for jigsaw puzzles but not so relaxing for weary eyes. How superb was that lounge suite though – it was a wedding gift and the owners didn’t want to part with it. Fair enough – I wouldn’t have either.
We have discovered buttery cream can be irritating to live with. And we don’t like carpet much – it holds every smell. Also, the fireplace had an elaborate pine mantle that wasn’t to our taste. Bare – it’s a challenging room that looks out to a front car-port, not such a lovely view and the windows are aluminium. *sigh*.
First off, we installed a full-wall bookshelf – floor to ceiling – and we couldn’t have been happier than that. It’s so relaxing to know that we actually have space for more books than we have – and we can collect guilt-free for a while yet. 🙂
Then we painted hacked off most of the mantle decoration (architrave we suspect) that hung underneath the mantle – it was stuck on with liquid nails, so there was much chiseling and crowbar wielding, mallet swinging and a bit of swearing. We also removed some pine that flanked the fireplace – and realised when that was off that there was a huge cavity behind the wall – lordy. The cavity was filled with some amazing foam in a can that was sticky and puffy and able to be cut afterwards to a fairly flat surface – just don’t look too close if you come over eh…
The fireplace was painted – and so were the walls.
And we were pretty much happy with ourselves but not happy with the floor – the main problem being that there is a river of “floating floorboards” that runs through the hall and out to the back. They are shiny and quite a lovely colour but in need of a sand-back and re-polish, there are areas that are peeling, and we knew that there were probably some fairly decent boards under there that were hiding.
We wondered whether to repair and do floating floorboards in the other downstairs areas? Rip up the carpeted areas and polish the boards, or replace the carpet.
Or… paint the boards white.
The Carpet – circa 1978 – mysterious large stain in centre right.
Floorboards – beautiful boards in need of some attention – a fair smattering of staples and a dark cherry stain on the edges which was worn at the entry. They would have come up well polished – but that’s beyond our current budget.
First coat – hearts in mouths I tell you – it’s one thing to see it in a photo – another to actually do it to some beautiful floorboards yourself.
Last little window
Finished – the view from the doorway.
We still have to hang paintings and will move things around but I have to say – having a white room is a fantastic thing – it’s so calm and peaceful and we have all been drawn in to just sit and enjoy the space when it’s quiet – and to put a record on and make it not so.
There will be more white rooms to come – we are hooked.